I'm curious to know about other academic library outside loan policies
on their video/DVD collections. Is your entire collection open for ILL
and consortium loans? At Evergreen we belong to the Orbis-Cascade
Alliance, a consortium of 36 academic libraries in Oregon and Washington
State. Our video/DVD collection is fairly specialized, driven mainly by
faculty requests as well as items purchased by college programs which
are then added to the Library's collection. Many of our materials are
fairly expensive or would be difficult or impossible to replace and as
such the Head of our Sound and Image Library has resisted opening the
entire collection to outside loan. At present the collection circulates
to faculty and staff while a relatively small portion of our videos/DVDs
are available for interlibrary loan.

Thanks for any input, sharing of experiences, etc.!

Tim Markus

Head of Cataloging

The Evergreen State College Library

Olympia, WA  98505