I'm one of the few that thinks The Blair Witch Project is possibly the scariest
movie ever--for some reason, it pushed my buttons and scared the bejeebus out
of me. Paranormal Activity also had its effective moments. The "found footage"
genre is a guilty pleasure for me.

As for older films, some of my favorite scary movies would include (in no
particular order):

The Haunting (1963)
Psycho
The Wolf Man (1941)
Nosferatu (both Murnau and Herzog versions)
An American Werewolf in London
Alien
The Uninvited (1944)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)