How about bizarre "winter" weather "anomalies?"

I have many pics from "Snowtober" of downed and iced over trees and
power lines from my backyard in CT!

On the opposite end of the scale-in 1982 Christmas Day in Buffalo was
the warmest on record-a whopping 64 degrees!  (the lowest temperatures
occurred 2 years earlier in 1980 when the mercury dipped to minus 10
degrees)

I remember seeing snow flurries in MAY when I worked in the Boston area
back in the late 80s but I can't find any record of it.

And I found this moldy oldie...

1816:The Year without Summer, from:
http://www.citysource.com/Seasons/snow.html

Recent winter weather woes in the East can't compare to "winter" weather
that befell the area in June and July of 1816:

Connecticut experienced a rare summer blizzard.

Snow and sleet fell in Danville, Vermont.

Massachusetts had snow flurries.

An unseasonably frigid summer brought crop failures all over New
England.

Savannah Georgia has a high temperature of only 46 degrees F on July 4.

Some speculated that Judgement day was near, Others attributed the
unusually cold summer across the country to the massive amounts of dust
and ash spewed into the atmosphere by the eruption of the Tambora
volcano in Java the previous year.

More on this one:
http://www.celebrateboston.com/disasters/year-without-a-summer.htm

Chris McN

Chris McNevins | ACQUISITIONS COORDINATOR

UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT | HOMER BABBIDGE LIBRARY

369 Fairfield Way Unit 2005AM | Storrs, CT 06269-2005 USA

PH: 860-486-3842 | FX: 860-486-6493 | EMAIL: chris.mcnev...@uconn.edu
<mailto:chris.mcnev...@uconn.edu>