> <<The fair use exemption clearly states that the amount used is one factor
> out of four.  Not the most important factor, not the only factor, not a
> factor that trumps all other factors, not a factor that needs to be
> determined in advance of proceeding farther with the other factors.  One
> equal factor out of four.>>

Terry and Michael,

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I would have to say that the
four fair use guidelines are ambiguous over equality. These guidelines are
not only guidelines for filmmakers and audio-visual users but are also used
by judges (more often than you would think) to decide on copyright
infringement cases. Each judge uses the guidelines but there's nothing in
them that says they should be considered equal, nor that one should be
considered above the others. It's really for each individual judge to
decide and I would bet it's gone both ways equally over the years.

In Jessica's favor, I would say that if an entire work is used -- a judge
most likely would consider that as a factor as well as in regard to any
commercial damage done. And if you go
here<http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html> to
the the LoC's interpretation of 107, you'll see that the examples given:

<<The 1961 *Report of the Register of Copyrights on the General Revision of
the U.S. Copyright Law* cites examples of activities that courts have
regarded as fair use: “quotation of excerpts in a review or criticism for
purposes of illustration or comment; quotation of short passages in a
scholarly or technical work, for illustration or clarification of the
author’s observations; use in a parody of some of the content of the work
parodied; summary of an address or article, with brief quotations, in a
news report; reproduction by a library of a portion of a work to replace
part of a damaged copy; reproduction by a teacher or student of a small
part of a work to illustrate a lesson; reproduction of a work in
legislative or judicial proceedings or reports; incidental and fortuitous
reproduction, in a newsreel or broadcast, of a work located in the scene of
an event being reported.”>>

are all careful to quantify the amount used. So that would be my
interpretation of Fair Use in regard to entire works. AND to be fair to you
and Michael, there are other laws (Teach -- in your favor -- as well as
DMCA -- in rights holder's favor) to consider that are NOT Fair Use when
we're discussing education and I'm not as well-versed in those as I should.
(But ask me ANYTHING about Shirley Clarke, Lionel Rogosin and Mary Pickford
at the moment.)

And no, I'm not a lawyer, nor have I ever sued or been sued for copyright
infringement. But my archival work has led me to many instances of having
to discuss (hours on end) the ramifications of court decisions and
adjustments to the laws with copyright lawyers.

--
Best regards,
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video/Milliarium Zero
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: 201-767-3117
Fax: 201-767-3035
email: milefi...@gmail.com
www.milestonefilms.com
www.comebackafrica.com
www.yougottomove.com
www.ontheboweryfilm.com
www.arayafilm.com
www.exilesfilm.com
www.wordisoutmovie.com
www.killerofsheep.com
<http://www.killerofsheep.com>
Join "Milestone Film" on Facebook and Twitter!
and the
Association of Moving Image Archivists <http://www.amianet.org>!

Follow Milestone on Twitter! <http://twitter.com/#!/MilestoneFilms>