The specific item mentioned in the original email indicated that the DVD was
labeled with "promotional use" only.  It did not indicate that the promotional
use of the video appeared on the screen while playing.

Whether a label on the case or a marking on the DVD.... the essence of the 9th
circuit ruling was the the distribution of promotional items is a gift,
transferring ownership.  Once the gift was made the Doctrine of First Sale
kicked in and there are thus no limitations on the use of the physical copy.
Lend, discard, sell..... all covered by law.

There are mitigating factors in the ruling... some key points being that the
materials were distributed freely with solicitation from the recipient, and
that the material provided no information about the * return * of the material.
 That is not necessarily the situation with screeners.  As Dennis points out in
his response, his screeners are marked "Property of Milestone Films".  (While
this may be insufficient notice to withstand a lawsuit, I'd wage adding "For
preview use only, return to Milestone Films... address" would.)

Unless you can cite case law in which other "promotional use" materials were
deemed the property of the studio, company, etc.  I think it is safe to assume
that the Augusto case sets legal precedent.

For those who like the nitty gritty, the court opinion is available here:
www.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2011/01/.../08-55998.pdf

-deg

deg farrelly
ASU Libraries