The question raised, and my responses were not about screeners.  It's your
comments, Jessica, that have been directed to that type of promotional material.

I just reviewed for adding to the collection more than 100 DVD and VHS titles
that were donated to the Library....  I added none of them, because I
philosophically do not agree with the notion of adding screeners to the
collection.

None of these titles was labeled on the disc that it was a screener, none had
an intermittent watermark or other such indication in the film.

But, to answer your questions, yes, I do believe that screeners are legally
acceptable to be added to a collection. (Depending on mitigating factors such
as absence of an agreement to return or directions to return included with the
video)

Legally, whether or not the title has or has not been release to the home
market has absolutely nothing to do with it.  As the 9th circuit ruling has
made clear, these are gifts covered by the Doctrine of First Sale.

While you reference "several cases" of attempts to sell preview copies you do
not identify Litigant, defendant, or case citation, so your assertions are not
verifiable.

-deg