From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu [videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu]
on behalf of Cary Jardine [cjard...@antioch.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:57 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Use of music in student productions

Dear list...I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question but this is not
really my forte so I'd love to hear from those whose forte it is!  Here's the
situation:

Every spring, students in one of our programs put on a dance performance on our
campus for students, staff, faculty, and I think anyone else who wants to drop
in.  This year they also put on the performance in the evening at an off-campus
venue, filmed it, and have now asked the library to make the DVD available for
circulation.  I'm a reference librarian but also our cataloger and as I was
watching the DVD to get some information about it for the catalog record, I saw
the list of dances and the specific music (most of it current/modern/popular)
that had accompanied each piece.  Of course now I'm wondering whether the
students A, needed permission to use this music in this situation (I think so)
and B, if so whether they actually obtained permission (I doubt it).  Here's my
question:  should permission have been obtained for the music used in the
performance, and if so should the library accept and circulate the DVD if
permission was not obtained?

Thanks in advance for any advice.  I'm an avid reader of this list; you guys
all know so much more about this stuff than I do!

Cary Jardine, MLS
Research and Instruction Librarian
Antioch University New England
Keene, NH  03431