You are half right Myles. Promotional copies can indeed be resold but you
need to read the decision and not just the EFF press release. The key
reason these promotional copies could be resold and were not the property
of the rights holder is that they were sent out UNSOLICITED. The court in
part relied on the law that if a company sends you a product you did not
order you get to keep it and do not have to pay for it ( and could resell
it). Film Festival screeners are in any case I have ever dealt with and I
have deal with hundreds if not thousands are always solicited. The festival
contacts the rights holder/distributor and requests the screener. In any
request I have been involved with not only is it clear that the copy should
be returned by I often requires the person requesting it to agree that they
will personally maintain physical control of the copy at all times and not
even allow other people at the festival to see it other than in committee
setting ( I warned you I was tough). As a practical matter I can 't spend a
lot of time checking for screeners to be returned but to be honest when it
is a fest I don't know well, I will go after them. As Dennis mentioned
screeners come with nasty onscreen warnings that they are screeners and
often other wording that they may not be displayed and are property of X
company. Forgetting copyright , this makes them extremely inappropriate for
a library. More than a few of the European rights holders use screeners
where the screener warning blocks the subtitles.

Basically unless the library gets a written legal statement from the donor
that the item was unsolicited and there was no request for a return, it is
not legal copy. I don't know this particular festival but I would be
stunned if most of their 400 plus films were not solicited and did not come
with a request for return. The catch is the majority of this is done by
email which has the same force as a written contract but does not exactly
leave the "paper" trail you seem to think would be involved in a "contract"
I may be wrong about that but again trust me I have been dealing with
festival requests for over 20 years and I have never sent either an
unsolicited screener or one I did not ask to be returned.