Michael,
Most filmakers and I would venture all the rights holders/ sales agents who
generally deal with festivals would NEVER want this and rightly so. For
obvious reasons people want to be paid for their work and obviously having
a festival donate screeners would I assure you be the end of at least
serious feature films for festivals. Many films don't get distributed for
years after a festival show and no one is going to track them down or
frankly want them in circulation without payment even if they never acquire
distribution. Libraries are always free to contact filmmakers and rights
holders to acquire their work

You are correct that "first sale" does not have to be a sale but it does
have to be a legal copy and not one with "screener" emblazoned on it
anymore than if I taped something off TV 5 years ago and gave it to the
library it would be a legal copy. It is legal for me to own it, it is not
legal for a library to add to their collection.