Funny this should come up when I'm doing exactly this- the task of
weeding the VHS collection.
First I have a list generated in Call # order for the DVD, VHS and
streaming formats. This list includes total uses since 2006 (when we
migrated to Milennium/now Sierra) and also Last Use date.
I work through the list and mark it, looking for VHS only
that has had 0 use in 5 years.

If we have VHS and DVD, I look at last use on the VHS. If it was
recently, it may be because the DVD was added recently, or, the DVD
was out when someone wanted the content.  Our system does let us look
at who the last user was:  faculty or student - so that is a final check
to see if an instructor is using the content.

Unfortunately, the streaming providers we work with are unable to give
us title-level stats on use when we license a collection.  Individual
titles from Films Media/Films on Demand can be verified, but that's the
only source where we have added streaming content one at a time. The
collections from Alexander St. and NFB are not providing title by title
data- at least as far as I can determine. If anybody knows differently,
I'd like to hear about it.

Once the list is marked, I go to the shelves, and pull off the videos.
I'm not comfortable delegating this, because there are decisions I may
make, once I see the video in the subject area where it sits.
The videos are then given to staff to mark as withdrawn.

That's my process - and I only have an opportunity to do it when exams
are over and all material is returned, which is right now in December,
and again in intersession in May.
Susan

Susan Weber

Media Librarian
Library
T  604.323.5533
F  604.323.5512
swe...@langara.bc.ca <mailto:Susan Weber <swe...@langara.bc.ca>>

Langara. <http://www.langara.bc.ca>

100 West 49th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, V5Y 2Z6

CONFIDENTIALITY: This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged
information. If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and delete this
email from your system.