From: Janice Woo [mailto:j...@cca.edu]
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:11 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Tiered pricing, FTE, and all that

Agree, use the Carnegie Classifications, and please include a tier for Special
Focus Institutions.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 12:55 PM, Susan Albrecht
<albre...@wabash.edu<mailto:albre...@wabash.edu>> wrote:
Scott,

That's why I mentioned the Carnegie Classifications.  No, there's no perfect,
completely fair way to do it, but ANY kind of breakdown that acknowledges
significant differences in size would be welcomed.  I know that with
periodicals, there are sometimes only 3 categories for colleges & universities:
 small, medium and large.  The cutoff in one such case for "small" is under
10,000 FTE.  I still think there's likely to be a substantial budgetary
difference between an institution with 1,000 FTE and one with 10,000, but even
that kind of acknowledgement that there are differences between under-10,000
and, say, 10,000-20,000 and over-20,000 might be appropriate.

BTW, I appreciated Deg's comments on ASU's particular role in building a large
collection - someone needing to ensure that broad, deep, even esoteric
collections exist somewhere.  Not many institutions expect that of themselves
nor provide the budget to accomplish it.  I do think that there are a large
number of libraries and media centers which want to and attempt to collect a
core of those "must-have" independent films, though.   Deg is blessed with the
resources to have purchased 150 or so titles from NMM.  I only managed 68 (plus
a dozen or so available at home use level).  If size were taken into account
even a bit in pricing, perhaps we could have reached 100?

Susan Albrecht