Athena
I think that is EXACTLY what distributors are trying to do, though this is
limited to distributors of of mostly non fiction, independent , classic and
some foreign films obviously not going to happen with studios.

I think most distributors ( everyone from Icarus to Zeitgeist) are eager to
include streaming rights when they have them ( there are exceptions and
limitations depending on the title) are eager and happy to do this. There
has been a growing problem with schools streaming entire films without
permission or license but again distributors ( and filmmakers who sometimes
need a push  on this) are absolutely moving to this model.