From:  Susan Albrecht <albre...@wabash.edu>
Date:  Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:41 PM
To:  "videolib@lists.berkeley.edu" <videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>
Subject:  Re: [Videolib] Streaming video vendor guide issue

Deborah Benrubi wrote:

A unified search portal that offers preview clips would be ideal, though it
probably would never include all the independent filmmakers and
distributors. We do have some tools at hand though. I'm always surprised
that more librarians don't use worldcat.org to identify potential titles,
and find distributors for known titles.

WorldCat is definitely a resource.  I think the issue with it, though, is
that lack of accompanying review.  Given that the cost of documentary films
is often quite high ­ especially when compared to books ­ it¹s harder to
make the call to just purchase something based on its title and subject
areas.  This is, again, why NMM is so vital for me -  I get the chance to
view the content and assess the quality of the filmmaking before handing
over my dollars.
(Do I sound like an NMM commercial?)
Susan Albrecht