Yes, we went from U-matic, to VHS, to DVD, to online with this series.

While there are many feature film and other theatrical versions, this is
often still chosen.  It does follow the play, without changes to the
script.  The BBC does have great casts and production values, often better
than some of the alternative versions.
One of our acting faculty would show a screen from BBC RSC and then an
American or Canadian production to show the difference in acting style.
We try to add new feature film adaptations and theatrical productions of
Shakespeare and other primary plays and literary adaptations.
Faculty and students make selections based upon their research needs!
 Sometimes they view several productions of the same scene or play.

We did try switching out plays within our Ambrose Online for a few years
based on campus productions and study. The process was cumbersome for our
acquisition staff, but I hear improvements have been made to the interface.
 We also had to modify our catalog holdings.  When funding became
available, we licensed the whole series.

 Nell Chenault
VCU Libraries