Hi Jeff,

Women Make Movies has two films that I think would be really interesting for
this course.

El General

A film by Natalia Almada <http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/makers/fm514.shtml>

US, 2009, 83 minutes

http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c763.shtml

Past and present collide in this extraordinarily well crafted documentary when
filmmaker Natalia Almada (ALL WATER HAS A PERFECT MEMORY), winner of the
Sundance Film Festival’s US Directing Award for documentary, brings to life
audio recordings she inherited from her grandmother. These recordings feature
Alicia Calles’ reminiscences about her own father—Natalia’s
great-grandfather—General Plutarco Elías Calles, a revolutionary general who
became president of Mexico in 1924. In his time, Calles was called “El
Bolshevique” and “El Jefe Máximo”, or “the foremost chief”. Today, he remains
one of Mexico’s most controversial figures, illustrating both the idealism and
injustices of the country’s history.

Dialogues with Madwomen

A film by Allie Light <http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/makers/fm42.shtml>

1993, 90 minutes

http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c141.shtml

"I was always so afraid that someone would ask me (where I was when JFK was
shot), and I would have to say I was in a mental institution", says director
Allie Light. This moving and informative film features seven women--including
the filmmaker--describing their experiences with manic depression, multiple
personalities, schizophrenia, euphoria and recovery. Candid interviews are
enriched with dramatic reenactments and visualizations of each woman's history,
emotions, and dreams--the private symbols of madness and sanity. The social
dimensions of women and mental illness are revealed in testimony about sexual
assault, incest, racism and homophobia, the abuses of the medical
establishment, family, and church. Acknowledging that "madness" is often a way
of explaining women's self-expression, this film charges us to listen to the
creativity and courage of survivors. Produced by the Academy Award winning
filmmakers of IN THE SHADOWS OF THE STARS, DIALOGUES WITH MADWOMEN is a
ground-breaking film about women and mental illness.

Best,

Amy Aquilino

Women Make Movies

Distribution and Sales Coordinator