As a newbie to this list (which I heard about at the excellent Video Roundtable
session at ALA) and to video librarianship, I appreciate the useful information
contained in this discussion. I was not aware of the significant costs incurred
to convert formats.  Our library as well has had the discussion of how to
replace/discard/reformat VHS holdings. In fact, our penultimate VHS player was
carted out to the dumpster last year, pleading for clemency, over futile
protests from our Tech Services team. The only player that remains is in a
study carrel in the library, not particularly useful for classroom presentation.

Does anyone have comments/suggestions on the conversion implications based on
Canadian copyright law?

Lisa Wakefield
Library Multimedia & Cataloguing Assistant | Library Information Common
Red Deer College | 100 College Blvd | Box 5005 | Red Deer | Alberta | T4N 5H5
work 403.342-3352 | fax 403.346.8500
www.rdc.ab.ca | when you get here you understand