From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Karen Fischer
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2014 10:18 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Vendors PULEEEZE

Lauren Bacall, despite being a beautiful woman, good actress and Humphrey
Bogart's widow, was 89 years old and hadn't been acting much recently.  Her
death from natural causes did not resonate with people, especially young people
as much as did Robin Williams death.  My teenage/young adult children were
stunned by his death, but not so much Lauren Bacall's. Being pragmatic, while
Ms. Bacall's death is sad, and another Golden Age of Hollywood figure is gone,
it is not unusual for an older notable's death to be overshadowed by the sudden
tragic death of a younger, still active performer.

Demand for Lauren Bacall films was not even in the same ballpark/zipcode,
whatever as demand for Robin Williams films. Regrettable and unfortunate, but
cold fact.  And at public libraries it is all about circulation figures and
responding to customer demand expeditiously.  I find it interesting that it
seems those who found the email offensive are academic librarians and those who
thought it was good customer service are public librarians.

Karen Fischer