Hello All,

I have been a lurker on this list for quite a while. I feel compelled to
make a response now...to offer support for Darby and to express my
appreciation for the thoughtful comments of Gisele and Darby in response to
a legitimately challenging question by Maureen. "Good librarianship" also
means being cognizant of the morals, politics, and overall climate of your
institution and broader community.

When I read the initial posting, I wondered what my response would be if I
were faced with that situation. I'm not at a UC Berkeley, NC State, or UNT.
I'm at a community college. Such a purchase--especially with state
funds--would come under public scrutiny. Since I am not faced with this
scenario, I don't have to make the decision...but I would hope that the
decision I ended up making would not be met with accusations from my peers
and colleagues of censorship or of being puritanical.

Catherine Lee
Cape Fear Community College
Wilmington, NC