AT NYU, we have a default replacement cost of $250.00 for our video
collection.  I arrange to have a report generated just before the video
goes to billed-as-lost (10 days from due date) where I will adjust the
 replacement price upwards or down, depending upon actual replacement
cost.  If the patron declares the video as lost, the default remains at
$250.00.  (We need this amount to cover our truly expensive, and for
private individuals, otherwise unobtainable, video titles.  It seems to get
most of those back.)

Michael Gaffney
Video Collections Assoc.
Avery Fisher Center / Bobst Library