From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jessica Rosner
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 12:03 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] New 1201 exemptions

My very quick take is that it expands both formats ( blu ray , streaming now
included) and users who can break encryption use portions ( clips) of AV works.
Not sure I see a big effect on university stuff as I don't really know if folks
felt constrained about using clips in any class/stream though I guess profs
will like blu ray option.  The biggest change I see is only tangential  to
academic use but it seems to basically eliminate the need to ever license a
clip for documentary or fiction av work.
The  important thing from my evil perspective of working with filmmakers and
distributors is that they rejected the request for any exemptions allowing
educational ( or any) user to go beyond using "limited portions" of works.
I am sure others will find much more
Jessica

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 1:08 PM, Randal Baier