Laura,

I apologize, but I find this is an extremely offensive comment. A lot of
distributors I know personally or by reputation are incredibly brave and
have set out in this side of the film business to educate and/or change the
world. They're almost as brave as some of the filmmakers they represent.
(Though we don't get shot at like some of them.) Many of us have faced hate
mail, death threats, bomb threats and a LOT of protests. I'm very proud
(okay, vain) that a strategy was named after me from when I was at Kino
distributing Last Temptation of Christ and we faced down an enormous amount
of pressure to drop the title.

I actually have not heard of films pulled because of controversy (though I
suspect some might have been pulled because of slander/libel and some like
Last Temptation not picked up by larger distributors), but there are, of
course, many books and films that have been pulled from libraries or (just
as bad) not purchased. It's wonderful that ALA has a promoted a list of the
most banned books each year
<http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-challenged-banned-books-2014-20150413-story.html>
(with
a great photo of our friend who we'll be distributing sooner than later) to
face this issue, but that also means it still exists.

There are extraordinarily brave librarians to be celebrated and the cause
of preservation (except when we're talking 16mm) has been championed by
libraries and media centers. But I've seen some of the nasty "stuff" that
distributors have faced to champion films. They're pretty cool too.

Best regards,
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video