I received today a email from a video distributor with the following details
for streaming their content:  (I am removed any reference to the distributor’s
name

---
Giving students online access to (our) videos is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Determine the video(s) you or your department will need for the year, how
many students need to view, and whether learners will access the videos via our
LMS or yours*.

2. Find your pricing on the chart below

# of Users

1st Video

Addt'l Videos

1-50

$395

$100 each

51-100

$595

$150 each

101-150

$895

$200 each

151-200

$1,100

$250 each

            Call if you need pricing for more than 200 users.

For example, say your department needs to stream 3 videos for various courses
to be offered throughout the year, and expects to need access for anywhere from
80-100 students.
You would pick User Level 2 (51-100) and your price would be $895 ($595 for the
first title, $150 each for the 2nd and 3rd titles.) This equates to $2.98 per
student per video.
Note: This type of subscription would give you 100 logins; each login would
have unlimited access to all three videos. (You would not have 100 logins for
each video separately. For that type of usage, please ask us about
"pay-per-view".)

3. Call or email us with your order! We'll quickly get you set up on our
platform, or send you a file for each video chosen.

—

I wrote back to the vendor and gave them a blunt statement that this model is
unacceptable, unscalable, and far out strips even the most expensive of
streaming licenses out there.

What say the rest of you?  Did you receive the same “offer”?

deg farrelly
Media Librarian/Streaming Video Administrator
Arizona State University Libraries
Tempe, AZ  85287-1006
602.332.3103