From:   Deg Farrelly <deg.farre...@asu.edu>
To:     "videolib@lists.berkeley.edu" <videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>
Date:   12/01/2015 08:32 PM
Subject:        [Videolib] An outrageous pricing model
Sent by:        videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu

I received today a email from a video distributor with the following
details for streaming their content:  (I am removed any reference to the
distributor’s name

---
Giving students online access to (our) videos is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Determine the video(s) you or your department will need for the year,
how many students need to view, and whether learners will access the
videos via our LMS or yours*.

2. Find your pricing on the chart below

# of Users
1st Video
Addt'l Videos
1-50
$395
$100 each
51-100
$595
$150 each
101-150
$895
$200 each
151-200
$1,100
$250 each
            Call if you need pricing for more than 200 users.

For example, say your department needs to stream 3 videos for various
courses to be offered throughout the year, and expects to need access for
anywhere from 80-100 students.
You would pick User Level 2 (51-100) and your price would be $895 ($595
for the first title, $150 each for the 2nd and 3rd titles.) This equates
to $2.98 per student per video.
Note: This type of subscription would give you 100 logins; each login
would have unlimited access to all three videos. (You would not have 100
logins for each video separately. For that type of usage, please ask us
about "pay-per-view".)

3. Call or email us with your order! We'll quickly get you set up on our
platform, or send you a file for each video chosen.

—

I wrote back to the vendor and gave them a blunt statement that this model
is unacceptable, unscalable, and far out strips even the most expensive of
streaming licenses out there.

What say the rest of you?  Did you receive the same “offer”?

deg farrelly
Media Librarian/Streaming Video Administrator
Arizona State University Libraries
Tempe, AZ  85287-1006
602.332.3103VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively
discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation,
acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and
evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped
that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video
librarians, as well as a channel of communication between
libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.