We had ours in security cases on the shelves.  Unfortunately we had a large
batch of our DVDs stolen.  So, we just put out the cases and keep the discs
behind the desk.   This has not totally eliminated our theft problem but
definitely reduced it.  Most of the titles stolen are popular movies and
television shows.  Other materials that disappear usually are needed for a
class.  Faculty members put them on their syllabi and do not tell the Library
staff.  Some enterprising student will get to it before anybody else.  It
becomes difficult when the faculty turns up on the day he/she wants to show it
in class and the disc is missing.

I hope this helps.

Eileen Karsten
Head of Techncial Services