The fact that they are from VHS is not really relevent. It is never legal
to post an entire film online unless you are the rights holder or have
written permissin from them (like a contract)The right to digitize and
stream belongs to the rights holder. Would not matter if it were on closed
campus system (unless you had rights and in that case you would certainly
not be able to put on youtube or anywhere else).

I can't imagine there is any "educational rights" sale that includes
youtube.

I appreciate that you are asking but this is kind of sign of how insane
things have gotten in what academics ( faculty) thing they are entitled to
do and often seem to get away with.

I fall back on my old suggestion that you tell them that their classes are
being taped and the they will now be posted online ( and the school will be
charging students to watch them as they are classes) but their services are
no longer needed. It rarely has any effect but this is the anology of what
they are doing to the people who made and produced the material they are
posting.