From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Randal Baier
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 10:23 AM
To: videolib <videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>
Subject: [Videolib] Where is Lady Day?

Hi folks,

I'm trying to help a faculty member discover a copy of The Long Night of Lady
Day, which was an American Masters PBS broadcast. Does anyone have any insights
into how to track it down. John Jeremy is the director with these other folks
as producers.
o    Angus Trowbridge........ Executive Producer
o    Alan Yentob........ Producer
o    Wendie Knighton........ Associate Producer
o    John Jeremy........ Director

I've included the email from my colleague looking to find the DVD with any luck:
o    There is a Billie Holiday documentary called The Long Night of Lady Day.
It was originally made around 1986, and has apparently been broadcast by PBS as
recently as 2006 as an "American Masters" documentary (at least that's the way
it looks to me from their site):

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/billie-holiday-about-the-singer/68/

So far as I can see, this video is not currently available anywhere in any
format except on eBay from Japan as a laser disc (for sale by someone who
doesn't have a laser disc player to check it)!  I see no mention of a DVD
available anywhere.  It doesn't look as if [our] library has the documentary.
A Google search on the title comes up with an Amazon link to a *different*
documentary, The Many Faces of Billie Holiday, which is currently on YouTube
(albeit with Portuguese subtitles).

But so far I'm stumped in trying to track down The Long Night of Lady Day. Yet
it seems to have been a major documentary (it's around 90 min), and it is the
only documentary listed in the "Selected Films and Videos" section of the
article on Holiday in Grove Jazz, 2nd ed.  ...

Any ideas about the Long Night documentary?  I'd really like to see it.  So far
as I can see, it's not on YouTube, except as someone's inaccessible "private"
video.
·
All the best, Randal
Randal Baier