Yes indeed digitizing and streaming a complete episode would violate
copyright law. This is not if you will excuse the pun an "academic"
question, there are two recent Federal Court rulings and recent ruling by
Library of Congress governing the Digital Millennium Copyright act. In both
Google Books and Georgia State cases which were hailed as huge wins for
educational institutions the rulings were very specific that only portions
of longer works could be considered "fair use". In Google the court clearly
stated that because only a portion of the work was accessible , scanning
the entire work did not violate "fair use'. GSU was even clearer. While the
court ruled that the majority of the works were indeed "fair use" it also
ruled that 7 of 48 were NOT "fair use' either because they used too much
material or used the heart of the work. Also long forgotten is that when
the case was originally filed GSU had been digitizing and uploading
complete works but they ceased immediately after the case was filed.

When the DMCA came up for review by the Library of Congress this past
November, many restrictions were removed in terms of who could break
encryption and for what purpose but a request by academic institutions to
be able to digitize and stream entire works was flatly rejected with the
following wording

* " Audiovisual works, for broad-based space-shifting and format-shifting
(declined due to lack of legal and factual support for exemption)"*
Not sure if you can get much clearer than that. I think saying one complete
episode of a TV show  does not violate "fair use" considering the above is
simply not accurate

The larger issue though is that if you include TV, feature films,
educational films and other types of AV there are likely millions of works
that are simply not currently available for classroom streaming. A fairly
large chunk may be available through commercial sites but an even bigger
number are simply unavailable for streaming and many may either be out of
print or never have been released on any format other than film. The
reasons are various, rights disputes, lack or material or the expense of
making good enough copies, cranky rights holders etc. Instructors simply
have to look for legal options when material they want is not available to
stream because bluntly there is no legal right to stream anything you want
or need. If the titles is available via Netflix, Hulu, Amazon or similar I
wonder if asking students to pay fo that is any different than having them
by books for a class ( which I assume even online students do)

I understand librarians want to help instructors get what they want but it
is not always possible. Sometimes you just have to tell them to be creative
and find either another legal method to view the material or substitute
something they can get rights for.

Jessica

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Griest, Bryan <bgri...@glendaleca.gov>
wrote:

> I imagine our content providers are saying, "Even one episode (if shown in
> its entirety in this manner) violates copyright law."

Jessica Rosner
Media Consultant
224-545-3897 (cell)
212-627-1785 (land line)