I can easily see an analysis of a series where a total run is “the work”—think
of a season of “The Wire”, for example—and one could indeed make a logical case
as showing one ep being “fair use.” I would be less likely to see an ep of
something much more episodic like “AITF” in those terms, to be sure.

From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jessica Rosner
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 11:03 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] streaming rights for TV series?

I doubt that would fly as each episode is totally self contained. Again in GSU
case court rejected about 15% of the total for not being "fair use" and
claiming a full episode is "fair use" would be a really high burden. ALL IN THE
FAMILY ran for like a decade so why not claim one whole season is "fair use"?
Each issue of a magazine is only one of hundreds if the not thousands so again
same question. I don't think is any kind of close  call.

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Griest, Bryan