Dear Videolib friends,

Bullfrog Films suggests a short  film called “Translation Possible” that may
spark discussion among both international students in the US, and US students
studying abroad—both groups having to adjust to new surroundings!

Here is the link to the description page and trailer:
http://www.bullfrogfilms.com/catalog/trans.html

Translation Possible  (DVD, 2007, 11 minutes)
Using a simple filmic device, this film illustrates the disorientation we all
feel on encountering a new culture, and the way we gradually learn to fit in.

A European tourist arrives in Shanghai, and finds herself totally disoriented
in a different culture.

In “Translation Possible” we see the process of overcoming cultural and
language barriers rendered in a surprising way, illustrated visually, without
words. We marvel at the filmmaker's clever technique that so effectively
illustrates people out-of-sync with their surroundings.

It is sympathetic and instructive both to the person who finds themselves in a
new situation that seems incoherent, and to a person who wants to help someone
seemingly overwhelmed by their new environment.

Elizabeth Stanley
BULLFROG FILMS
P.O. Box 149, Oley, PA 19547
800-543-3764