Hi,

 >     Why is data pointless? I'd rather have only a few datapoints on new
>     hardware out there rather than having absolutely no data at all.
>

> I mean, the data is pretty useful because it tells us about the best
> default kernel for large square matrices, but it is not very useful if
> we want to build a general input-dependent model, as it requires in my
> experience more than 1000 data points.

This is true. So this calls for an hierarchical approach:
  Level 1: Just a couple of known kernels for a given data size, which
are compared on the target machine.
  Level 2: A full tuning set for one data size on the target
  Level 3: All ~1000 points for building a model

Execution times between these levels vary significantly: While almost
all users will go through Level 1 anyway, only a few will have the
patience to wait for results on Level 2. Level 3 will be mostly for us
to have a 'normalized' process for building performance models. Either
way, if others will join (machine learning community?), that would be great!

>     I'd rather refrain from running Python scripts from the benchmark
>     GUI. This is intended to be an end-user tool. Those interested in
>     running from Python should take the Python code (i.e. PyViennaCL)
>     directly.
>

> Are you sure? It would not take a lot of efforts to have an optional way
> to call the python script with the proper arguments from the auto-tuner,
> as long as the user provides the path and that he has all the necessary
> dependencies.

The second half of the last sentence is the problem. I expect >80% of
users to run on Windows, where anything but a 'double click installer'
is a non-standard process. If Namik has time left by the end of the
summer, we can look into that, but we first need to focus on our target
audience.

>     Such cases are probably only interesting for the 'expert settings'
>     tab in the GUI, as these parameters only make sense to people who
>     *really* know what they are doing (and willing to invest the time).
>     For bloggers, journalists, etc., who just want to quickly get some
>     performance datapoints for the very latest hardware, this is usually
>     not of interest. We need to foc
>
>     us on serving the main audience first and then watch out for
>     fruitful directions on how to extend it further.
>

> Of course ! I've been referring to the "expert settings" tab from the
> beginning :)

Ah, please say so :-)

Best regards,
Karli