      From: Karl Rupp <r...@iue.tuwien.ac.at>
 To: Sumit Kumar <dost_4_e...@yahoo.com>
Cc: "viennacl-devel@lists.sourceforge.net"
<viennacl-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
 Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 2:44 PM
 Subject: Re: [ViennaCL-devel] ViennaCL reductions

Hi Sumit,

 > ViennaCL: Sparse Matrix-Matrix Multiplication
> <http://www.iue.tuwien.ac.at/cse/index.php/gsoc/2014/ideas/167-viennacl-sparse-matrix-matrix-multiplication-2.html>
> Description
> View on www.iue.tuwien.ac.at
> <http://www.iue.tuwien.ac.at/cse/index.php/gsoc/2014/ideas/167-viennacl-sparse-matrix-matrix-multiplication-2.html>
>
> Do you have any example in ViennaCL that actually does this? Can you
> please point this out? I was rethinking my strategy and was wondering if
> I formulate my Dense matrix multiplication as a sparse matrix
> multiplication and,

1.7.0 will provide a sparse matrix-matrix product for
compressed_matrix<>. Some code for the nightly tests is in
  tests/src/sparse_prod.cpp
The API is the same as for dense matrices:
  A = viennacl::linalg::prod(B, C);
for A, B, and C being of type compressed_matrix<T>.

> a.) Use The modified Strassen algorithm to reduce the workload
> Strassen's Matrix Multiplication Relabeled
> <http://src.acm.org/loos/loos.html>

I don't understand what you are trying to achieve with Strassen for
sparse matrices. Strassen is (sometimes) useful for dense matrices, but
not for sparse matrices. The algorithmic complexities involved in sparse
and dense matrix-matrix multiplications are totally different.

Best regards,
Karli