Well, any notation which doesn't represent exact pitch is in essence
tabulature.

  Yes, as I mentioned in my e-mail; it would be "tablature disguised as
modern notation".  The tablature manuscripts themselves don't always give you a
clear idea of the stringing intended, which determines actual pitch.  What I'm
proposing is a system that's simply easier to read than the facsimiles, and
leaves it up to the individual what stringing they prefer.  I'm all for someone
doing an easy to read tablature in Django or Fronimo and making it available.
thought the tab on Paulo Galvao's site was very legible, for instance.
  Personally, I still find notation a little easier to read, especially in
the higher registers.  I'll try to put up a sample or two on the web for people
to check out.

James