From: "Thomas Schall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "VihuelaList" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 6:11 AM
Subject: Re: Modern Notation of Five-Course Lit.

Hi Stanley and all,

Although surely well meant, the earlier editions by Karl Scheidt and Hans
Teuchert now seem inacceptable. I do well remember the answer when I asked
why he omited the rasguados: "They didn't do such things then". Also I only
know one nearly good edition of Sanz (from Rafael Balaguer) and one really
good by Wolf Moser. These are of course personal opinions which surely are
not shared by everybody.
A serie of historical informed editions would be most welcome but there are
problems with the conversion of tabulature to standard notation. Just to
name
one: the role of improvisation inherent in baroque music. Ornaments and
rasguados could mean very different execution and often one sign could have
different meanings. The modern notation would fix one way of execution,
aren't it?
Another problem would be voice leading which, as already mentioned, could
sound completly unnatural and unlogical on a modern instrument while it's
well plausible on the instrument the music was intended for. How should an
editor solve such a problem? Changing the voices would change the given text
(and would be an interpretation) but leaving the text as it is would
probably
lead to unsatisfying results.
The more I think about it the more I am convinced we have different
instruments (different even more like the grand piano to the harpsichord)
and
rather should avoid transporting music of one to another. It rather should
be
goal to inform modern players about the historical context and execution on
baroque guitar which could help players of modern instruments using the
original notation. I am convinced the sound of an inspired performance or
demonstration on a baroque guitar is better publicity for the music than
presenting editions which cannot show the complete richness of the baroque
music.
Just a thought ...

Best wishes
Thomas