I'm not sure if we are same the same wavelength here!

As far as I know, most of the 16th century printed tablatures for 4-course
guitar give no indication of how the instrument was strung, or to what exact
pitch it was tuned.

Various people have suggested various pitches on the basis of other
documentary evidence - principally, it seems, Bermudo.  Everyone seems to
assume that the 4th course had a low octave.

As far as re-entrant stringing  is concerned, the point I was trying to make
is that Mudarra does actually say at the beginning of his 4-course pieces
that there must be a bordon - i.e. low octave string - on the 4th course.
If the instrument was never strung without one he surely wouldn't have
thought it necessary to mention it.   He does also say that it must have ten
frets which again implies that it didn't always.  The bordon and the ten
frets are necessary to ensure an adequate range of notes for his more
complex music.

For a more popular repertoire a re-entrant tuning may have been used.

Monica