Dear all,

I fully support Ed's view, which is the view of a practioner (is there such a
word in english?).
I also understand Martyn's point. While it's of no importance for a player if
the instrument is "historically correct" (if the repertoire is appropriatly
reproduceable on it). On the other hand: from a scientific point of view it
is very important what reasons we have to prefer this model over another.

I enjoy the discussions on both levels - there are surely weak points in
Alexander's argumentation postulating the Diaz-guitar would be a vihuela
which doesn't have anything to do with the practical use of his replica as
appropriate instruments for the vihuela repertoire. An inconsistance?
I don't think so. The vihuela is special. We don't have any surviving
"certified" instruments and I don't know of any instrument in discussion  on
which no objections exist. So I think there is a certain freedom for builders
and in this case any argument and practical experiment will bring us closer
what could have been the original sound of the instrument.

Just my 2 cent on this
Best wishes
Thomas

Am Mittwoch, 8. Juni 2005 17:12 schrieben Sie:

--
Thomas Schall
Niederhofheimer Weg 3

http://www.lautenist.de