Hello Martin,

> Thank you for this. I think, however, you misunderstand my point: I was
simply supporting your view (as understood) that the vihuela may have been
made in a variety of body shapes which encompassed fluted and arched backs
as well as flat backs  - hence 'continuum'. I'm sorry if I did not make that
clear.<

Oh Gosh! I do apologise (:-<

In fact, we don't even need to guess; references to the
types of bodies / backs that you mention are found in historical accounts
(inventories, ordinances etc).

> When you've got a minute,  perhaps you could address the substantive
points raised earlier, including Bermudo on body depth, Dias peghead
decoration and possible increase in hand size since the 16thC.<

I'm afraid I cannot rely on this Bermudo's evidence (i.e. two-three
fingers). I only wish he were a bit of Praetorius in this respect.
As for the hand size I'm sure that some vihuela players had their hands as
big as ours, despite as you say, a possible increase in 15%. However it may
not be excluded that the Dias was made for a young musician, with slender
fingers and ... Feel like starting a short novel here ...

>> 1. Decoration (presumably original) on the face of the Diaz peghead
specifically makes a feature of all the pegholes, except for the 'extra'
one; indeed,  it even cuts through part of the decorative line.  This
suggests to me that the instrument was not originally built with this
additional peghole.<<

Dias peghed decoration is an interesting one. My initial idea was very much
in line with yours: if the central hole in not surrounded with ornamental
pattern then it is simply not original (this is still listed somewhere in my
first publication on the Dias). However a few months later after the
completion of my first copy of the Dias I actually had a somewhat different
idea of why this may not be so. In short, the way this ornamental pattern is
made (I call it "rope" pattern) is "responsible" that the central hole is
not included in it. I'm planning to give a fully-illustrated "anatomy" of
the Dias' instrument construction one day; I only wish I had a bit more time
for this ...

If you look at the peg head of the c.1590 guitar, for example, which carries
virtually identical decorations you will see that there are three (instead
of two) ornamental "beams", of which the central one is simply there, so to
say, to fill the space, not for the peg holes (note also that the peg head
itself is wider than that of the Dias). It may well be that these ornamental
patterns have been pre-fabricated and used whenever there is a need; say,
shorter length for peg heads and end block inserts, longer for fingerboards
etc.

For the explanation why the central hole cuts through part of decorative
line see Image 6 of http://www.vihuelademano.com/vgcrossroads.htm plus
relative part of the text. You can get an idea how slim the original pegs
could have been from at least two surviving Portuguese guitars: Antonio dos
Santos Vieyra c.1690  (Ashmolean museum), "IOZE / DOR / V" c.1740-50
(Edinburgh collection). In addition, on every second surviving 17th century
guitar peg holes are cut through the decorative lines. Why early makers were
so disrespectful of those I don't know. A few other peg holes on the Dias
are also very close to the purfling ornament and there could have been a
similar sort of breakages if the grain direction of the top veneer was
different (i.e. short grain, as it is next to the central hole area).

> Finally, on your interesting point (as I understand it) about wear around
the strap/ribbon hole:  many early 19thC guitars had such holes but they
don't always show  wear...............<

Each particular case is unique and have to be treated accordingly.

Regards,
Alexander