that's really good.  i don't see how anyone could or
even want to argue with any of what you said.

one more point and i'm off to bed:

roman quite rightly said - in my uriah heap-like
opinion - that the mexicans probably named their
mariachi vihuela out of a dim recollection of the real
thing - the "real thing" being varied, ill-defined and
prone to subjective consideration.

in a previous thread it was generally agreed that
written compositions for an instrument shouldn't
prejudice its importance or previous existence, even,
prior to documentation of material written for it.

in another recent thread it was established that the
vihuela probably passed through a series of
modifications before being eclipsed altogether by the
guitar.

wouldn't it stand to reason that those vihuela/guitar
manifestations which are not considered guitars might
therefore be considered as vihuelas?

mariachi music is a people's dance music - it came
from poor, illiterate people whose main access to
history is via the oral tradition.  given that the
mariachi vihuela looks like a guitar and is played as
accompaniment to guitars, why would they choose to
call it a vihuela?

the most plausible answer, it seems to me (grovel
grovel) is their acknowledgment of the number 5.

roman also points out - rightly - that european
settlers in the new world never called their vihuelas
"charangos."  i would point out that to the best of my
knowledge - for hundreds of years, in some areas -
they didn't call their vihuelas "guitars" either.

isn't it possible that in europe the distinction
between vihuela and guitar was decided in favor of the
number 6 and in the new world by the number 5?  isn't
it plausible that there's a family of vihuela
instruments, some of which have 5 courses - the
charango included?

the only reason i can see for denying this possibility
- if absence of written material and modifications in
its development are no longer precluding factors - is
an inherent and traditional prejudice against
informal, "people's" music on the part of academics,
on the one hand and feelings of national pride and
solidarity with the indian population of south america
on the other.

AND FURTHERMORE ... IN CONCLUSION !!! ...

this list is not my personal blog and i sincerely
apologize if i was ever seen to treat it as such.

- bill