----- Original Message -----
From: bill kilpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 6:33 pm
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: What is the historical vihuela?

> wouldn't it stand to reason that those vihuela/guitar
> manifestations which are not considered guitars might
> therefore be considered as vihuelas?

Why not consider them to be whatever their makers and users consider them to
be: charango, ukulele, timple, whatever?   Again, the relationships to other,
earlier things are evident (as in the modern classical guitar), but each of
these things is still its own conceptual entity.  There is no reason to seek
pseudo-validation of these things by onceptualizing them AS their ancestry.

> roman also points out - rightly - that european
> settlers in the new world never called their vihuelas
> "charangos."  i would point out that to the best of my
> knowledge - for hundreds of years, in some areas -
> they didn't call their vihuelas "guitars" either.

..But they did call their guitars "guitars" (in whatever language was
appropriate).

> the most plausible answer, it seems to me (grovel
> grovel) is their acknowledgment of the number 5.
>
> isn't it possible that in europe the distinction
> between vihuela and guitar was decided in favor of the
> number 6 and in the new world by the number 5?  isn't
> it plausible that there's a family of vihuela
> instruments, some of which have 5 courses - the
> charango included?

I don't really understand what point you're trying to make in this
contemplation on the number five.  I think the concept and name "vihuela" just
happened to be absorbed by guitar-like things; however many strings or courses
they carried is incidental.  As you've implied, folk musics are not so codified
as academic music.  It would stand to reason that the instruments to evolve
around folk music in the absence of academic music would be hugely diverse in
regional construction, naming conventions, tunings, playing techniques, etc. in
having not being dictated by service to the set scores of academic music.
Consider all the diverse modern things to be called "guitar" compared to the
typical expectations of what one expects to be called a "violin"...or even
"guitar" in general compared to "classical guitar."

> the only reason i can see for denying this possibility
> - if absence of written material and modifications in
> its development are no longer precluding factors - is
> an inherent and traditional prejudice against
> informal, "people's" music on the part of academics,
> on the one hand and feelings of national pride and
> solidarity with the indian population of south america
> on the other.

That's silly.  As evidence of my personal lack of prejudice against aboriginal
Americans, I used to date a Sioux...and I like a whole lot of folk musics.  Why
not just respect the names that the users of instruments have given them?  The
conceptual roots of those instruments are evident, whatever their names.
Trying to rename those instruments as their ancestors seems to be much more a
semi-disrespectful application of "inherent and traditional prejudice" against
the tools of informal music making to me.

Best,
Eugene