Monica Hall wrote:

> This is what puzzles me a bit as I can't see the advantage of having a
> long
> string length for accompanying.

Interesting that you're saying this a few days after Benjamin Narvey
posted Linda Sayce's article arguing, in essence, that theorbos with
short string lengths are musically inferior anachronisms.  I'm
skeptical about her conclusions, but I'm not sure what puzzles you,
since you certainly know that (all other things being equal) the
greater the string mass, the greater the volume of sound, and (whether
all other things are equal or not) the greater the string mass, the
longer the decay.  An instrument capable of greater volume and greater
sustain may not strike you as presenting advantages in accompaniment,
but someone must have thought so in the years around 1600.  I can
assure you that the theorbo was not invented for convenience.