On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 05:56:14 -0800 EUGENE BRAIG IV wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: Alexander Batov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Saturday, April 1, 2006 8:07 am
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Anjo com Viola

>> I think you are quite right. In pre-soundpost era of the viol, for
>> the rather flat top with lots of soundholes this might be indeed the
>> best solution: freeing the top from excessive string pressure,
>> balancing the sound throughout the instrument's range (important for
>> consort playing!) and getting rid of wolf-tones, all at once ...

>A thorough skeptic, I would be a little reluctant to give this rather odd
>looking design any such attributes until an instrument like this was built
>(or
>discovered), its sonic behavior was quantified, and the results tested
>against
>what we know as more conventional designs.

I would be equally reluctant to classify it as odd looking although I'm not
a thorough sceptic.

> After all, this bridge design certainly did not persist.

We can probably find a good number of things that didn't. However, this
doesn't make them less respectable. Fluted-ribs just spring to mind ...

> (I'm not an acoustic physicist, so I'd appreciate the opinion of anybody
> who
>is.)

That would be great! I'd appreciate qualified opinions too and before one of
those joins in (well, nobody did in the last few days), lets see how far we
can go ... by mapping a mental model of, as you say, a "sonic behaviour" of
this ''odd-looking design''. Of course it cannot serve as a substitute for
the test results you are seeking but ... we're not that serious here are we?

> Vectors to represent the distribution of string pressure would be wacky.
>The transfer of the tension of the treble strings to the soundboard would
>be at
>an extreme angle and focused wholly on the inner edge of the bridge's foot,
>while the bass strings would be much more directly focused into the
>soundboard.

You do seem mostly concentrate here on the static picture but it's a dynamic
one which is more telling.

>From the perspective of purely mechanical action, the back will take care of
a larger portion of pressure from the treble strings, thus relieving the
soundboard, while the latter will mostly be subjected to the downward
pressure of bass strings. However, the dynamic picture wouldn't be hugely
different from that in a 'conventional' viol which is equipped with a
soundpost. The difference would only be in the positioning of the pivoting
point for the bridge: in a 'conventional' viol, this is situated on the
soundboard, in the area just above and in vicinity of where the soundpost is
placed, in an 'odd' one - where the extended foot of the bridge rests on the
back. In this last case the vibration generated by the treble strings,
although partly 'consumed' by the back, would still be present, in its
largest portion, at the bass side of the bridge and subsequently re-enforced
by the soundboard (well because the top of the bridge is a fairly rigid
structure, which favours propagation of high frequency vibrations). Also
because the soundboard is neither as stiff nor heavy as the back is: both
these qualities kill vibrations but help to provide a firm pivoting point
for the extended foot of the bridge.

The key difference from a 'conventional' design would be that the soundboard
is now let free to vibrate with no hindrance from the static pressure of
treble strings. Although this 'odd' way of construction may seem hardly
necessary on, say, Baroque era viol, in particularly after the introduction
of overspun strings, in the era of thick gut basses the extended bridge foot
construction could have made a noticeable difference in boosting bass
response.

I actually know one surviving instrument (in the St-Petersburg museum) which
has exactly this extended bridge foot construction going through the cut-out
in the soundboard and resting on the back. It has seven strings (all gut,
including very thick basses) and of the size of a small double bass. It
seems to have been made in Germany c.1720s. I did try to bow it but because
this was quite a while ago I can't recall the impression of the sound.
Perhaps I can compile a report on this rare specimen if I manage to visit
the collection later this year.

 > The treble strings would be directly engaging the back plate.  It's just
so
>odd.

In a way, as I've just explained, they wouldn't! This long foot design is
more or less what the soundpost does in a 'conventional' viol (which is of
course a more sophisticated one, for by moving the soundpost we can change
the degree of soundboard participation in the production of treble range
response of the instrument). With the long foot construction the back plate
would be far too rigid and heavy to be able to respond effectively to treble
strings. Again, it's main function would be to provide a firm pivoting
point. To further explain this, consider the following experiment: bow the
first string of a viol and simultaneously grip the bridge with left hand
fingers in the area of the first string or further below, at its treble
foot. Depending on a quality of the instrument and its setup there will be
either noticeable drop in the amplitude and timbre of the sound, or less
noticeable or ... there will be hardly any change in the sound at all! So
even with the handgrip blocking bridge vibration at the treble foot (and, as
a consequence, the soundboard area surrounding it) the sound of treble
strings may still hardly change.

Actually on viols with over-thinned, sinking tops that have, as a rule, a
rather shriek sounding trebles and disturbing wolf-tones a bridge with the
extended treble foot design might actually help to cure the problem,
although not many viol owners would agree to spoil the soundboards of their
viols.

Richard Jones, here in UK, makes a set of Renaissance viols without
soundposts in them. They have rather heavy soundboards, which obviously
helps not only to withstand string tension but to kill unwanted vibrations
too, or at lest make them less prominent. These viols sound remarkably well
when played together although the sound of thick gut basses, as one might
guess, is rather subdued. I would venture to assume that the viol with the
bridge's treble foot going through the cut-out in the soundboard on the
picture that Roger pointed us to is the lowest pitched one in that consort.

Nobody knows for sure when the idea of using the soundpost in the viol
became dominant. In a small number of surviving 16th century viols soundpost
plates on their backs are of later origin. Their soundboards, although
thinned down during later conversions, were noticeably thicker than those of
Baroque viols. It's always a rather difficult task to satisfy both worlds in
a bowed musical instrument, so I would imagine that the extended bridge foot
design might have come as a precursor to the idea of the soundpost but was,
perhaps for some practical reasons, abandoned. Who can ever tell ...

Alexander