Thank you fr ths Alexander,

  However, I'm still puzzled why you are so certain that folded top guitars
were not introduced until the mid 18thC: that some/many instruments were
converted in the 18thC does not, of course, mean that they were not known
earlier.

  Regarding evidence for earlier instruments might I respectfully suggest you
look at a wider range of instruments: the instrument illustrated in Baines
(possibly the most widely known and readily available standard illustrated
reference work) is just one that might be a 17thC instrument in original state.

  P's Theatrum Instrumentorum (Barenreiter facsimile 1976) has on plate XVI an
instrument P calls 'Laute mit Abzugem oder Testudo Theorbato' which looks very
similar to an archlute but with end fastening strings passing over (ie not
ending on) a bridge.

  Finally, I'm not the only one who thinks the instrument may have been around
earlier than you suppose (see Peter Forrester's recent communication).

Alexander Batov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Why re-entrant tuning?
On Wednesday, October 18, 2006 8:42 AM, Martyn Hodgson" wrote:

> Indeed, the Preatorius depiction clearly shows the folded belly used in
> the early 17thC (predating the use on the Neopolitan mandolin by over 100
> yrs).

I wouldn't say it's all that clear, I can't see any visible fold on my
illustration, unless you've got a better one or are looking into a different
Praetorius ;)

> What evidence is there that 'there wasn't any need' for a wire strung
> folded belly etc guitar before the mid-18thC.

Well, perhaps "there was a need", for example, for a hammered clavier in the
early 17th century (one can easily imagine that the musicians then were
craving for more expanded dynamic range on their harpsichords) but it took
another 150 years or so for it to appear. As far as I know, there is no
evidence (in form of surviving instruments, iconography, historical records
etc) for the existence of the folded belly design on "guitar-like"
instruments before c. mid-18th century. If there is such evidence (perhaps
you know), then we can deal with it ... instead of doing so with imaginings.

My reasoning for "there wasn't any need" is exactly the same as it was the
case with some other instruments during the 16th - 18th centuries which have
evolved as a result of changes and / or emergencies of either new musical
styles or technological innovations and advances etc or , indeed, all of
these combined. (I don't think one can ever be so precise in tracking down
the exact picture why such and such line of development of a particular
instrument took place in the history.) Battente guitars (as a family of
different size instruments) seem to have emerged as a side line development
of the Neapolitan mandoline family around 1740s; what we might now call as a
"folk instrument" and it still remained as such in the Southern province of
Italy (Calabria).

It is also worth to have in mind that this seemingly large scale conversion
of the 17th century guitars to folded belly construction around the mid-18th
century and later, with subsequent shortening of the neck etc, also
encompassed, although to a lesser extent, lute family instruments too ...
and 'spoiled' some really beautiful ones (as for, example, an archlute E 528
from the Paris collection, with a possible attribution to Magno
Dieffopruchar).

> The question is wether such
> instruments were played in the earlier period (ie 17thC): the 'need' for
> a louder instrument in etc may have encouraged
> such a development.

Firstly, I don't quite see how we can project our modern ideas as to what
would be suitable for the 17th century 'large scale entertainments'
.

Secondly, I don't quite see how the combined folded belly / metal strings
construction can result in a louder instrument ...? Talking of wire-strung
instruments, the contemporary members of the cittern family instruments
could have easily satisfied such a role, by having: unconstricted soundboard
in place where the bridge is situated (i.e. with no fold in there), higher
bridge and shallower body - the qualities much more likely to result in a
louder instrument (as compared to that with the deep-bodied, folded belly
design). This is not to say that the flat bellied gut-stung 17th century
"guitarra spanguola" (as we now know it could have been occasionally strung
with silk strings too) could lend even more higher sound output than the
metal-strung instruments of the time. Introduction of fan-brace pattern to
the guitar (again around mid-18th century, this time in Spain) have taken it
even further along the "loudness line" (unfortunately to the detriment of
the sound, imho).

> The examplar instrument is illustrated in Baines (European and American
> /MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS) by two pictures Nos 294 and 295. Do you know its
> whereabouts now?

I haven't got this book, so can't tell more.

Alexander