Thank you for this Alexander,

  As I previously said, much of this is speculation (or as you would have it
'imaginings'). My concern is that you appear to be certain that such
instruments did not exist before the mid 18thC whereas I'm prepared to accept
that we just do not know at the present the time and am prepared to accept that
an instrument MAY be 17thC if there is equivocal evidence. I would be grateful
to have the firm evidence on which you base your belief that these instruments
didn't exist before the Neopolitan mandolin (as said earlier, there's no
dispute that some instruments were converted but, of course, this does not mean
that earlier wire string/folded top/end-fastening guitars did not exist).

  The most relevant evidence for suggesting that such instruments may have
existed before the 18thC is:

   - extant 17thC instruments (eg that shown in Baines to which I drew your
attention - incidentally I don't recall mentioning the text, I simply
identified the illustrations);

   - known use of wire strings/end fastening on a number of plucked instruments
in 17thC (eg cittern).

  Other things like changes in musical styles (eg towards a more 'modern' tonal
based system favouring block chords) and performance requirements (eg opera)
are more indirect but may present a reason for such instruments (or 'need' as
you put it).

  Martyn

                          -