I'm pleased someone else plays music from this wonderful MS which must contain
the logest piece ever written for baroque guitar (if, of course, it was ever
expected to be played in one sitting).

  Regarding the particular piece:  the harmonies and structure are reminiscent
of Gianoncelli's 'IL LIUTO' (Venice 1650) with its passing dissonances
(intentional I think) and variation form. However, whilst there is indeed a
'Baletto' with 5 variations (pgs 6,7) it isn't this one.

  It may seem a strange thing: to transcribe from the 14 course arciliuto to
the 5 course guitar, but much of this music is only two part and the low basses
are either used for effect or to free the left hand in higher positions (much
as the extra basses on the Dm lute) so putting them up an octave or even two on
a re-entrant tuned guitar may bring unexpected inversions - but to good effect
here. Incidentally, I don't think this music it requires a bourdon on the fifth
course altho' I do use one on the fourth.  Perhaps it could go a little faster
as well - but nicely played.

  rgds

  M.

Stuart Walsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I've been rummaging through my stuff for Baroque guitar and there is a
very odd piece I look at every so often. It's a strange little thing and
I'd be interested if anyone would have a quick play through and offer
any comments on it.

Here it is:

http://www.tuningsinthirds.com/Baleto/Baleto.jpg

It's from the De Gallot MS (f.68), an English source from the 1670s. As
I recall, it's from a section of the MS which has pieces in D major. The
piece that immediately precedes it is very different; a courante in
mixed tablature and alfabeto.

The title looks like 'Baleto', but it doesn't seem anything like a dance
piece from a suite. If anything it's more like an aria. I get the
impression that it's an arrangement: something with a slow melody and a
chugging bass line, perhaps.

It also sounds vaguely familiar and - although it probably isn't - it
sounds very English. Sturdy and plodding.

The harmonies are unusual too - especially line two, final bar and line
three, first three bars. Lots of suspensions and sevenths. I'm not sure
it sounds quite right, but it's certainly interesting. Maybe someone was
trying to realise a complicated figured bass.

On the other hand it's nothing like those learned harmonic progressions
you get in some Sanz pieces or the remarkable Preludio de 1 tono (D
minor) in the Resumen of Santiago de Murcia.(Does anyone play that piece?)

The varied repeat in the Baleto [sic] is even more speculative and
there are some errors in the rhythm signs. And more curious harmonies
all over the place.

Perhaps unwisely again, I've uploaded a very amateur effort at just one
run through of the piece.

http://www.tuningsinthirds.com/Baleto/Baleto.mp3

Any ideas?

Stuart