To: <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 9:45 AM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Guerau on "modern" guitar

  Dear Monica;

  In a recent exhange I pointed out that aside from the octaves on the
  4th and 5th courses on a baroque guitar tuned to play Francisco
  Guerau's music the tuning was identical to the first five strings on a
  modern guitar and hardly reentrant. I'm sorry, I do not remember your
  exact words, but I believe the gist was that without the octaves on the
  4th  and 5th courses Guerau's music would be unplayable or
  incomprehensible. I finally got around to playing a few passacalles on
  a modern guitar and found the result to be most pleasant and musically
  coherent, albeit different than the same pieces played on a baroque
  guitar.

  Gary.