[Eugene C. Braig IV] I think this came up very recently, but I can't
remember the outcome...or maybe it was on a different forum.  In any event,
I can't provide any kind of definitive answer regarding iconography, but
they were certainly well established by the era of baroque citterns, like
English guittar.  Grove cites the first written reference to capo tasto as
G.B. Doni in his text Annotazioni (1640).

Best,
Eugene