I hope lots of people play them! And let's hope, Rob keeps the ning site
open to all, otherwise only ning members can access the music (nor will it
be visible to search engines).

Well - if anyone has a problem I am happy to send them the PDF privately. Maybe I will put it on my own web page later. I am trying to work out how to make the music the proper size.

Anyway in bar 31 of Huntington's Maggot (I thought maggots were in 3/2!)
in bar 31, third beat, is that really a sort of sus chord?

This is a typical Corbetta cadence. It is actually Chord H in alfabeto but in order to play the ornament on the 1st course the 4th course must be left unfretted and the chord re-fingered so that the 4th finger can play the ornament. In the manuscript the piece is called Rigodon. It is called maggot in Playford. There is also a Mr. Lane's Maggot which is in common time.

And the
Spannish Jig, bar 8 has one beat too many, I think.

No - it is right. The first chord is a minim but as the last note before the double bar is also a minim the note value is not repeated. This is a Django thing. There should be 6 crotchets in each bar.

The only piece I have trouble with is the Passepied.

Yes - this posed some problems. It is barred differently from the version in Jeremy Barlow's edition of the Dancing master. There is no 4 bar anacrucis at the beginning. I wondered whether to change it but on the whole I try to reproduce things as they are in the original source and let people make their own changes if they think this necessary.

I'm really enjoying
trying to play these pieces. I use to tootle some of them on a recorder
and it's fascinating to see hoe they've been adapted and arranged for
guitar. I just wish the arranger had arranged more of the minor key tunes.

Well perhaps we will all be inspired to make our own arrangements of our favourite tunes. We actually used to do some of the dances when I was at school - Gathering peascods was one of them. Those were days when English folk song was still valued.

Monica

Stuart