     From: David van Ooijen <davidvanooi...@gmail.com>
     Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: [VIHUELA] Re: [VIHUELA] Haendel - Cantata
     Spagnuola
     To: vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu
     Date: Saturday, 9 May, 2009, 9:39 AM

   On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Martyn Hodgson
   <[1]hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

   >   Without having seen the original MS it's difficult to be sure if
   >   Chrysander's edition is wholly accurate, certainly his naming the
   two
   >   upper staves of the system as for guitar seems editorial (since he
   >   places the chittara in brackets). It would also be revealing to see
   if
   >   this MS usually identifies a particular instrument on the top line
   or
   >   if it was assumed (a violin, oboe or flute perhaps). Further, if
   the
   >   upper line is played an octave down (as you rightly suggest more in
   the
   >   period guitar tessitura) it crosses the bass line (eg bar 2).
   >
   >   I suggest it more likely that the composer simply expected the
   guitar
   >   to play along as continuo (hence second line down duplicating the
   bass
   >   stave) and that a violin, or flute or oboe played the melodic upper
   >   line. the bass then played by cello with/without keyboard.
   You might be absolutely right, and not having the original in front of
   us leaves all of our speculations rather academic, but I would think
   the continuo line to be played by whatever continuo group available or
   deemed appropriate and the top line to be played on a guitar of some
   sort. Actually, guitar in hand I find it not so much of a puzzle to
   fit it in a working tessitura on the instrument, just play as is but,
   indeed, an octave lower. Voice crossing with bass line, always in this
   cadens, but the guitar bass has an octave jump to emphasize what's the
   harmony - what to do about reentrant tuning with such octave jump in
   the bass is yet another question, not one that would have bothered
   Handel when writing this part, I imagine. Lovely 'Spanish' parallel
   chord progression by the way, and the constant play with B-flat
   C-sharp, too: flamenco!
   On the other hand, but we might have the wrong instrument in mind. Who
   knows, one of Handel's theorbo men might have had a guitar with a
   tuning that worked very well for this part or, more likely, Handel
   just left it to the guitarist to figure out what to do with the part.
   If he expected a violin to play the melody, it would surely say
   violin? It's a cantata for 'Voce sola e Chitarra', that suggests to me
   a guitar would play the solo voice. In whatever way, by including
   strumming chords when there's just a continuo bass for example, I
   certainly couldn't resist when playing through.
   I'll check the Baerenreiter next time in the library, perhaps it has
   something more to say.
   David