To: <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Saturday, May 09, 2009 7:07 AM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Händel - Cantata Spagnuola

I have been thinking to ask this group for ideas and suggestions on
approaching Händel's "No se emendera jamas " (Cantata Spagnuola a
voce sola e Chitarra) for some time.

The Chrysander edition is online at:
http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/0001/bsb00016889/images/
index.html?id=00016889&fip=66.41.254.100&no=5&seite=44

Is it safe to assume it was written for a standard baroque guitar in E?

I have no idea of the original source, but given the range of the
part marked "Chitarra" I would think to play the melody down an
octave from Chrysander's G-clef notation, which would take the melody
from the fifth fret first string down to the second fret on the
fourth course. This strikes me as a bit low for playing a solo part
above the continuo.

The bass notes only seem just to be a continuo line to harmonize.

How might members of the group have performed this, and with what
instrumental forces? Theorbo continuo only, or harpsichord? Bass viol
only?

Or do do we take the subtitle literally that it is only voice and
guitar? Then we have a bit of a range problem with the written bass
line and upper part (assuming my octave transposition of the upper
voice).

Does someone have knowledge of the original notation to be able to
comment on the faithfulness Chysander's edition? He claims it is
faithful here:
http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/0001/bsb00016889/images/
index.html?seite=7

-- R