What you say is very interesting in a number of ways!

   What you say about preferences for low basses being a present day
   "prejudice" for a complete instrument hits the nail on the head.  At
   least two people I know claim categorically  that the fact that Granata
   has included music for chitarra atiorbata in his book proves that he
   also intended that there should be low basses for the music for
   standard 5-course guitar in the book too.   This argument has always
   seemed to lack any logic to me!   After all we are talking about two
   different instruments.

   Looking through the music there are occasionally places where the open
   courses would overlap with the stopped courses but this wouldn't
   necessrily be a problem.   One thing that is noticeable is that Granata
   tends not to use the stopped 5th course very much.

   On the other hand you can't place too much reliance on a drawing like
   this one which may well not be accurate in respect of size etc.   The
   Stradivarius specification for stringing does indicate octave stringing
   on the 4th and 5th courses.   Would this matter if they overlap with
   the basses?

   A lot of unanswered questions here.

   Monica