     From: Lex Eisenhardt <eisenha...@planet.nl>
     Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Murcia
     To: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Saturday, 18 July, 2009, 9:21 PM

      The only information we have are some vague pictures (though the
      portrait of Granata allows some speculation about rather long bass
      strings). Notwithstanding a slender waist some guitars had long
   strings
      on the fingerboard.
      Why should a guitarre theorbee have loud basses? It's a typical
   amateur
      instrument, not a theorbo! .
      Perhaps the wish to have a complete instrument was as much something
   of
      the 17th century. An imperfect instrument improved.
      These new basses must have been so important to the composer (?)
   that
      he forgot to make use of the fourth and fifth course.
      Should one assume that inconsistency was something desirable, in
      particular for guitarists, their instrument and their music?
      Lex